|Date Posted||December 11, 2019|
CBC Digital Products is the country’s biggest digital innovation group, taking on the challenges of revolutionizing how media is made, sent and received. We are also part of Canada’s oldest and truest broadcasting company. We are trying new things. We are growing. As an entity of our own. As a voice for our country. As a team.
Digital is a part of our present and all of our future. CBC’s strategy is focused on becoming a digital-first organization that provides a digital platform for storytellers. Our mission is to engage our audience with stories they care about.
If you want to enter the world of digital media and be part of the change and growth of one of Canada’s long-established and respected broadcasters, this is your chance. CBC Digital Products is looking for a Fullstack Developer to work with the Analytics and Search team.
This is an opportunity for a Developer who is eager to innovate, quick to learn and wants to expand their skills with hands-on work. An opportunity to be part of a team that is responsive to the needs of our audience and releases frequently, with continuous delivery. Teams that are using metrics, running audience-facing experiments including A/B testing.
This is a unique chance for a Developer who wants to be part of building an engaging experience for over 18 million Canadians. A Developer who wants to grow the way they think about their software design; learn from purposeful failure and work in a lean, Agile environment. A chance to:
- Build the presentation of cbc.ca/search.
- Work on an initial introduction of Recommendation Systems into the CBC.ca website.
- Perform A/B tests at a monthly cadence.
- Build a data ingestion abstraction layer.
- Follow a Test-driven development (TDD) process.
- Design and develop an automated regression testing framework for our web/mobile analytics platforms using Appium and Selenium to ensure our analytics products behave as designed.
- Maintain high-quality standards of automation testing, perform manual testing and contribute to the existing code based on insights gained.
We welcome people who are strong collaborators and feel they can contribute in non-traditional ways. If you're passionate about Canada and you love technology, learning and bringing out the best in others, you’ll love working at CBC.
Who you are and where are you now?
What’s in it for you?
Cutting edge tech: CBC has more than 25 digital sites, all of which are mandated to reach Canadians online everywhere and every way, with a high emphasis on mobile devices. To achieve that goal, with no downtime, takes a robust infrastructure, powerful technologies, reliable solutions and rewarding work. All of which requires stringent automated testing and processes.
Belonging: CBC/Radio-Canada is a Canadian institution. By joining our dynamic Digital Products team, you will be exposed to the best of all worlds. Corporate. Public. Startup. You will be part of a team that embraces diversity and at its core, truly cares about the country and the world.
Career growth: CBC is fully invested in our people. Whatever it is you want to pursue whether it’s a new programming language or a technical solution, whether it’s expanding your Agile knowledge or building an audience-facing platform. We will provide you with the time, resources and championing that you need to keep your career here rewarding.
Why join us?
CBC/Radio-Canada reflects the Canadian identity and promotes democracy. We strive to represent the voices of the country and support social and economic innovation. Our values - collaboration, learning and continuous improvement- embody who we are as a people-focused, digital-forward employer. We offer a rare-in-tech work-life balance with flexible schedules and an excellent benefits package. We want to ensure you are happy in and out of the office.
Collaboration. We follow lean startup principles and use an Agile approach. Our dedicated people managers work closely with every individual to ensure we are leveraging their strengths, championing their ideas and supporting their pursuit of new skills and career progression.
Learning. From simply buying a book or recommending a course to one-on-ones, our leadership team is focused on creating an atmosphere where people feel fulfilled. Our team members are given opportunities to learn and work cross-functionally across multiple projects.
Continuous improvement. What can you innovate in 8 hours a week? Our Digital department at CBC recognizes just how smart, creative and inventive our team members are. From prototyping new UI/UX to setting up dev environments to experiment on and learning new programming languages to creating improved search functions for our media. Wherever your interests lie, your 20% time is yours to allocate in a productive and professionally gratifying way.
What you bring:
- The education: A Computer Science, Engineering degree or equivalent is preferred, but we know not everyone gains their programming skills this way. You have the knowledge and understanding of software development and testing best - and latest - practices.
- The desire to learn. You can quickly learn new technologies and respond to change by learning and adapting.
- The communication skills. You know how to listen and relay empathy and understanding for diverse perspectives. Your powers of observation help you understand your audience and communicate with the right level of detail.
- The collaborative Agile experience. You thrive in a team-focused environment. You believe in the Agile methodology deeply, but you are flexible and open to the real world twists and turns. You are comfortable with iterative and incremental development.
- Previous Automation testing experience is nice to have for this role.
Think this job is meant for you but worried you don’t have it all? At CBC we know that not everyone takes the same path when it comes to building their skills. You can read about the various backgrounds the talented people that make up our team bring to us here.
Hands-on experience, intelligence, innovation, a passion for learning and a team-focused approach can combine to form the best set of qualifications. If you feel you meet all or most of the qualifications we are seeking; and you are excited by the possibility of growing our company, take a chance and express your interest here.
In becoming the leader in expressing Canadian culture and enriching democratic life, we need to be as diverse in every way as the country we serve, both within our workforce and on air. As an employer, we value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada's public broadcaster.
CBC/Radio-Canada is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations, if required, and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please contact us.